Post: Play Worker (Maternity Cover)
Accountable to: Play Lead
Hours: 18 hours per week (Between 3.15pm and 8.15pm Mon – Fri as required and school holidays Monday to Thursdays 10.30am to 3.30pm as required). Hours will be set; but subject to minor change depending on numbers
The post holder will assist the Play Lead with the day to day running of the Children’s project within Communityworks. The aims of the project are to provide a range of activities for children in the Otley Road and Undercliffe area.
Principal Roles and Responsibilities
Assisting the Play Lead with the day to day running of the project, including:
- Contributing to the organisation and running of a range of activities for children aged 5 – 13 years which run Mondays to Fridays during term time.
- Delivering daytime holiday play schemes during every school holiday except Christmas.
- Under the day to day guidance of the Play Lead assist the planning, implementation, and evaluation of provision and learning experiences for all children to ensure that the highest quality of care and education is provided.
- To be aware of the need to safeguard children and be vigilant for signs of abuse, reporting to the named person for Child Protection and contributing to the writing of reports when needed.
- To follow all policies and procedures, acting as a role model and setting high expectations.
- To develop positive relationships with parents, involving them in their children’s learning and development, encouraging them to make use of the wider opportunities within Communityworks.
- Regularly consulting with children and young people to ensure that they can participate and influence the development of activities.
- Maintaining relevant records.
- To contribute to the monitoring and evaluation of the project.
- To ensure health and safety within the activities and ensure equipment and resources are well maintained and organised.
- To follow current legislation and best practice as guided by the SENCO, ensuring the inclusion of all children including those with special needs/disability.
- To respect and uphold confidentiality in all matters relating to staff, children and families connected to Communityworks.
- To promote excellent partnerships with parents/ carers, to welcome them and ensure good communication, passing on relevant information regarding their children. Any queries and concerns should be passed to senior staff.
- To participate in Communityworks team meetings and related activities
- To participate in training activities and other learning opportunities to improve skills and knowledge in the performance of duties.
- To receive regular line management supervision.
- To be flexible within the working practices of Communityworks and undertake additional duties commensurate with the grade and level of responsibility, as agreed with the line manager.
Pay and Conditions:
Hours: 18 per week
Salary: Real Living Wage £9.50 per hour (increasing to £9.90 from 1/4/22)
Holidays: 5 weeks per annum + public holidays.
This post is subject to a probationary period of six months
Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
Because of the nature of the work, this post is exempt from the provisions of Section 4(2) of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (exceptions) Order 1975. Applicants for the post are not entitled to withhold information about convictions which for other purposes are ‘spent’ under the provisions of the Act and in the event of employment, any failure to disclose such convictions may result in disciplinary action or dismissal. Any information given will be completely confidential and will be considered only in relation to an application for a position to which the order applies.