We have an exciting opportunity for a Property Manager to join our dynamic team at Hope Housing. As a senior manager of the team, the property manager will effectively represent Hope Housing and contribute to fulfilling Hope Housing’s vision for the eradication of homelessness in Bradford.
Who are we?
Established in 2008, Hope Housing is a registered Christian charity working with people experiencing homelessness in Bradford. Our aim is to end rough sleeping in Bradford by eradicating homelessness through the provision of a range of services including crisis management, advice and advocacy and supported housing. Hope Housing currently has over 50 supported bed places in 38 properties across the city and we are actively looking to expand our portfolio. We are connected into a wide range of working partnerships with statutory and voluntary services and churches to deliver a range of person centred services in the City. We know that we cannot solve homelessness by ourselves; our key principles are to work with others and focus our work on filling gaps in homeless provision so that in our city no one will be left out. All our support is tailored to each individual and enables even the most disadvantaged people to access housing, financial and practical help through a person-centred, individualised approach.
The Property manager will support the Hope Housing team, by sourcing and preparing new properties, and ensuring all our housing stock is maintained to a high standard. They will negotiate with landlords, agree and review rents with Housing Benefit and landlords. The property manager will ensure that contractors and maintenance projects. Initially the property manager will not be line managing staff, although as Hope Housing grows we expect the team to grow.
What drives us?
At our core we aim to reduce homelessness in such ways as may be thought fit within the context of Christian values and practice, based on the biblical mandate to love our neighbour as ourselves. We believe it is a great privilege to help people experiencing homelessness by providing hope where they often feel there is no hope.
Main duties and Responsibilities:
- To carry out appropriate housing management functions in relation to Hope Housing properties and tenants. To include:
- lead in setting up new properties
- voids management
- arranging and overseeing repairs and maintenance contractors
- Manage contractors and maintenance projects
- Be part of an on call rota for emergencies/crises.
Improving Quality of our property management services
- Creating a repair policy and systems of reporting .
- Creating cleaning systems in place for shared houses.
- Ensuring all our properties meet the legal requirements and systems are in place for renewing safety certificates.
- Ensure properties are inspected at least every 6 months.
- Plan upgrades to properties and furniture.
- Oversee furniture storage and distribution.
- Oversee and manage staff
- Enable staff to work within Hope Housing’s policies and procedures by providing training, supervision and other appropriate support.
- Help with recruitment as necessary.
Increasing the number of properties
- Viewing properties for us / landlords to buy for our use.
- Working out new property costs and rental income charges and liaise with Housing Benefit to agree rent levels.
- Prepare leases for landlords and agreements for tenants.
- Take on rental properties as appropriate.
- Implement the loan stock plan to get interest free investments and mortgages for Hope Housing to own more properties.
- To work strategically to establish new partnerships and work with existing relevant agencies, churches, landlords, investors and support providers with a view of increasing Hope Housing’s stock.
- To support as appropriate the development of homelessness initiatives in the city, which enhance the effectiveness of Hope Housing in delivering its objectives.
- Working with new landlords and growing partnerships with owners, agreeing deals to access more housing.
- Work with the volunteer coordinator to support volunteers within your role.
Administration and Finance
- to operate effective administrative systems and record keeping for the efficient running of the project, including paper and web-based systems as appropriate.
- ensuring expenses and any petty cash held are well managed and monitored in line with appropriate policies.
- Ensure the property costs so that properties are financially viable.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Work with database designer to develop reports on the database for maintenance, voids, rent sheets, impact monitoring
- Ensure the database is updated to meet the growing needs of the organisation in reporting and monitoring outcomes.
- provide regular and accurate reports on a monthly / quarterly basis
- Monitor rental income from properties to be able to inform future growth.
- to undertake any training and development opportunities as agreed
- to attend occasional conferences and events related to homelessness and the work of Hope Housing in agreement with line manager
- to undertake occasional tasks in cooperation with Hope Housing colleagues, as agreed within the context of the management structure, in order to gain additional skills and knowledge relevant and of use to the overall operation of Hope Housing
- to work within the framework of values, ethos, policies and procedures set by the trustees
- to undertake additional tasks and responsibilities at the request of the Trustees and line manager
- to deputise on occasion and as appropriate for other colleagues as agreed with staff and trustees
Scope: This job description is intended to provide a guide to the general duties and responsibilities of the post. It should not be regarded as a contractual document. It will be reviewed regularly and may be varied at the discretion of Hope Housing. A more specific list of regular tasks will be agreed with your line manager.
How to apply
Applications for the post are invited from those who have the relevant skills, experience and passion by submission of a detailed CV and covering application letter to Helen Syrop (Hope Housing Project Manager) via email: email@example.com.
Please contact Helen Syrop if you require further information.
CVs should include:
- Name and contact details
- Qualifications (level; date obtained; awarding body)
- Full employment history
- Name of two referees (including current or most recent employer) – please indicate if these can be contacted after shortlisting
Covering letter should include:
- Why you are applying for the post
- How you meet the essential and, if appropriate, desirable criteria
- Confirmation that, if shortlisted, you are available for the interview date
- Confirmation of right to work in the UK